Being part of the LGTBQ+ community is not always easy.
Individuals with a non-heteronormative sexual orientation or gender identity face unique struggles in their everyday lives. Whether it is the hardships created by unaccepting loved ones, ridicule from peers, or conflict with self-perception and confidence, it’s not uncommon for members of the LGTBQ community to face higher levels of emotional stress. Talking to an LGTBQ therapist could help navigate these challenges and alleviate some of that stress.
RISE offers support and counseling in a safe environment. My compassionate, professional services are accessible in-person as well as remotely via teletherapy options.
As a member of the LGTBQ community, the challenges can affect multiple facets of your life. You may need support or counseling if:
- You have difficulty coming out to your loved ones or are afraid to be yourself.
- You struggle to cope with harassment or discrimination.
- You face inequality when it comes to how you are treated by employers, loved ones, etc.
- You frequently deal with feelings of low self-worth, anxiety and/or depression.
- You need help dealing with the stigma you face from society.
The Benefits of LGTBQ+ Counseling
Through LGTBQ therapy, individuals who have faced hardships, anxiety and challenges are exposed to a respectful, accepting environment where they are safe to communicate their feelings and express what they are dealing with in everyday life. Some of the benefits of such a comforting experience include:
- Developing a sense of self-affirmation and confidence in who one is.
- Finding the ability to express thoughts about one’s unique lifestyle openly.
- Curbing fear, anxiety and a low sense of self brought on by homophobia in the outside world.
- Learning new coping skills to get through difficult aspects of being LGTBQ, such as non-accepting relatives.
Support offered through RISE is specifically tailored to meet the needs of each person. Each session is designed to be enjoyable and life-invigorating, without stigma. Furthermore, if individuals need identity counseling or LGTBQ couples counseling, RISE can help with these additional forms of therapy.